Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Gypsy Solution 1938

The first ATC cards that I made were for a themed swap about gypsies. I wanted colorful, lively images of gypsies dancing with swirling skirts... romantic and beautiful. But then I came across this poem called Letter from Auschwitz. And from there I did more research about "the Gypsy Solution" in 1938. In a lesser known chapter of the Holocaust up to a million gypsies were rounded up and died across Europe.


I couldn't shake the pain I felt for a people who loved freedom being caged like birds and rotting in camps. I took this photo of a gypsy couple and tore it in two and made a series of cards with the two figures torn apart. The art was mostly digital, but I used wire to lash butterflies and other images to the cards.


In Auschwitz there is a great house
And there my husband is imprisoned
He sits and sits and laments
And thinks about me

Oh, you black bird!
Carry my letter!
Carry it to my wife
For I am jailed
in Auschwitz

In Auschwitz there is great hunger
And we have nothing to eat
Not even a piece of bread
And the block guard is bad

by Ruzena Danielova


Here's the set of six:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. McNally,
My name's Samantha Reed. I really like the fact that you have this poem and the cards. I like it mostly because I happen to a Romanian gypys myself. I tried to email you but it didnt work. If possible can you please email me?? My email is Samantha14_nj@hotmail.com. Thank you for your time.

Samantha Reed

Anonymous said...

The gypsy child plays his sad song

With no one there to sing along

Nor food, nor shoes apon his feet

Playing his tune sorrowful and sweet

No rest, nor place to call his home

This gypsy minstrel all alone

A piece of silver now and then

Til morrow starts his day again

IMspidey/M.M. 7/08
Copyright © 2008